Saturday, April 1, 2017

A is for The Avett Brothers



When I first heard “True Sadness” by The Avett Brothers the song’s soulful angst blew me away. Not knowing how to describe the sound, I’m going to cheat here and share a direct quote out of Wikipedia: Following on from Seth and Scott's former rock band Nemo, the Avett Brothers combine bluegrass, country, punk, pop melodies, folk, rock and roll, indie rock, honky tonk, and ragtime to produce a novel sound described by the San Francisco Chronicle as having the "heavy sadness of Townes Van Zandt, the light pop concision of Buddy Holly, the tuneful jangle of the Beatles, the raw energy of the Ramones.” ‘Nuff said.

Since I got a kick out of making up band names last April, I’m going to do that again as well. For A let’s hear from Abalone. Unlike the gentle marine snail, this trio tears through their sets with pure punk sensibility. Like Henry Rollins of Black Flag, they find inspiration through the likes of great forefathers the Stooges and the Ramones.

-
All the real tunes air on member supported WNKU out of the University of Northern Kentucky. The web page features the current playlist and live streaming.

13 comments:

  1. Love your new band name! Good to see you in action again this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. True Sadness sounds unique, I have to look it up and listen. Cool idea to make up band names.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like Abalone. I've been a groupie of theirs since the mid 70's. I still had my 60's era bell bottoms and some jangles for my wrists and to weave into my long sometimes uncombed hair when I'd hit their concerts. I snuck out of boarding school with my friends to go. Oh those were the days of Abalone. Hahahaha. If you can make up a band, I can make up a history.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are awesome. Thank you for the grin. I wish this had been your past. ~hugs~ Have a lovely Sunday!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. No clue why I keep showing up as posting a comment to your blog twice! Anyway, I think I will love this challenge and I have B for tomorrow.

      Delete
    2. I'm confused as you, Pam, and thrilled to seek your post tomorrow. Be well!

      Delete
  5. "combine bluegrass, country, punk, pop melodies, folk, rock and roll, indie rock, honky tonk, and ragtime"<--wow, that's quite a combo.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are very creative and cool! Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hadn't heard True Sadness so I just popped over to good 'ole Youtube to have a listen. Love it, especially the lyrics.

    Click HERE to read my 200-word tale

    ReplyDelete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!