Monday, August 7, 2017

Ex-ing Exposition



Opening a story yesterday afternoon provided quite a surprise. For some reason, I noticed for the first time after several passes that the opening included a straight five hundred forty-two words of exposition. Whew! Not good.

It certainly gave me a goal. And I’m pleased to say that before evening arrived the important bits became part of a much more interesting telephone conversation between the narrator and her father. That dialog already existed, just in a shorter format with less tension.

They were disagreeing, after all. So the rewrite makes me feel better on many levels. Meanwhile, father and daughter are working things out. ~grin~ The widower dotes on her.

I also made sure not to delete the original exposition, saving it in a different file. As fellow writers say (or lament) again and again, never toss out anything you've written.

What little achievement made your weekend?

-

14 comments:

  1. I sometimes feel it takes writers first hundred pages to finally start the story :))
    What was achieved this weekend? Twas a working one for me as usual, translating a new book for a new publisher, busy busy ahead of our biggest book fair in Autumn!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just keep picking away at rewrites. Having fun, though. Best wishes on your busy endeavors!

      Delete
  2. That is a great accomplishment. I don't think I really accomplished anything all weekend except some cooking.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, cooking is good. I've not been doing much of that. ~grin~ Thanks for the kind word!

      Delete
  3. Yea for you! You are doing well with your progresses in writing.
    My progress...? I am up to 3 hrs. between kitten bottle feedings, 24/7.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And bless you on your efforts to give these sweet kitties a new lease on life.

      Delete
  4. Since I laid around all weekend moaning and groaning (and fighting off a sore throat), I made no achievements this weekend. And I'm okay with that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nothing wrong with that (!) though I hope you feel better. I hate a sore throat.

      Delete
  5. Yay...great job for you then. What did I do....I was house sitting, away from my home so I did not get much done....I did get the chandelier hung in the antique room....well, I watched while I friend did it! haha

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You do so much it amazes me. Be well! And thanks for the kind word.

      Delete
  6. Sounds like a good day's work. I always have to be careful not to info dump. You're right about not throwing anything away, too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Nick! I hope you're writing is going well.

      Delete
  7. Mmm. Exposition. The story-teller's turkey dinner. Fantastic if intermixed with other elements but taxing if you're left with nothing but turkey.

    As for achievements, definitely getting the intro 90% done for my unnamed game.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like how you put that. ~grin~ And good on you for trying something new! Be well.

      Delete

Hope you enjoyed stopping by and please drop a line. I love comments.

Any and all will be published upon approval. Thanks!